Platforms such as Dedao have mushroomed on the back of a trend of people paying for online content they deem useful or valuable.
“For people looking to hone a particular skill or quality, they long for avenues offering multi-skill courses taught by qualified teachers at reasonable prices,” Cao said. “Most important of all, they want the platform to be stable. The annual speech serves to create that ‘predictable’ image.”
Dedao started out as an obscure media account, where Luo repackaged complex historical, philosophical or economic topics into a daily 60-second voice message and weekly one-hour video lectures. Soon, they all morphed into a comprehensive knowledge-sharing portal where people pay for a torrent of classes, books and offline events.
Will lifelong learning play a role in rebuilding our post-covid world? Yes, according to The International Labour Organization:
According to the guide, building the capacity and engagement of workers’organizations in skills development and lifelong learning, based on a human-centred approach and International Labour Standards, will help build a ‘better normal’ in the post-COVID-19 World.
Read how: https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2020/11/20/skills-and-lifelong-learning-critical-for-all-workers/
These two millennials may have left school, but they are not closing the chapter on learning. In this SG Pulse, Vanessa Lim looks at how two millennials – a hawker and an aspiring environmentalist – are finding their footing in the real world amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
by Vanessa Lim
It makes no sense we should get all our education in our 20s, says Debra Spar of Harvard University.
That’s why more and more elite colleges are adding flexible, inexpensive, lifelong MBA programs.
It is a truism that even the best universities in the world cannot accurately predict the skills that will be needed in the workplace 10 years from now, let alone 100 years, hence the importance of teaching university students how to learn, something also referred to as metacognition.
Lifelong learning refers to holistic learning for life and work. It comprises a number of pillars of learning including: learning to know, learning to do, learning to live together, learning to be, learning to earn, and learning how to learn.
Learning how to learn is what universities in Africa need to teach, for this will ensure that when learners are confronted with unique and complex problems, they have the capability to learn, unlearn and re-learn how to address complex problems, as pointed out by Alvin Toffler in his book Future Shock.
Oxford tells us what many of us already know:
Learning for professionals is an ongoing process. They work in an era of changing laws and procedures that drive their need and desire to keep their knowledge and skills up to date. Lifelong learning can benefit professionals, the organizations in which they work, and the clients they serve. This chapter explores continuing education requirements to maintain licenses of certification, as well as the desire for lifelong learning among professionals from a variety of industries. Suggestions for developing and providing learning experiences are presented. While it is evident that professionals need to continue their learning, the content areas as well as learning options are continuously being reviewed by accrediting organizations. Various ways of obtaining continuing education credits are presented as well as trends in training modalities.
Over a very short period of time, Covid-19 has helped business and education to replace and complement physical face-to-face channels by digital and online ones. This radical change also opened the way for more and better lifelong learning—via e-learning platforms.
Once again, Lifelong Learning is the silver lining in the COVID clouds…
Work is changing and lifelong learning is becoming a requirement. In response, educational systems around the world will have to shift both what they teach and how they’re financed.
Work is changing and lifelong learning is becoming a requirement. In response, educational systems around the world will…
Posted by Quartz on Monday, March 2, 2020
In the United States, only about 45% of college students graduate with a full degree in four years. That leaves 55% who intended to get a degree but, at the end of a typical college term, do not have one.
The number of people holding a partial degree that grants them little in the eyes of employers is overwhelming. What’s more, by and large, we aren’t effectively enabling learners in our organizations. Every day, the skills gap grows wider and deeper. How can we reverse this trend?
The good news: Within reach is the change I believe can accelerate us into a lifelong learning model. It starts by credentialing every semester of college.
According to Forbes, it is within reach: https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbeshumanresourcescouncil/2020/07/03/a-path-to-lifelong-learning-credentialing-every-semester-of-higher-education/#1a6df24e5ae1